Some say electric cars are the future, but what about magnetic ones?
It will take you about half an hour to make a magnetic racing track with a racing car.
_A small, thin cardboard box, about 20 cm high x 20 cm wide x 2cm deep
_A few sheets of white paper, enough to wrap the box
_Pencil and a black fine liner or felt tip pen
_Coloured pencils, markers or crayons
_2 wooden sticks (lolly sticks) or one long flat stick. You could also use a ruler or something similar.
How to make your magnetic racing track and car:
1. Wrap the box in white
2. Draw the track in pencil. You can add some details like trees and other cars.
3. When you are sure about your drawing trace over the pencil with the felt tip pen and add colour.
4. On a separate piece of paper draw a car as if you were looking at it from the top.
5. Cut it out and stick one of the magnets on the back.
6. Glue the 2 sticks together to make one long stick and glue the remaining magnet on one end.
7. Put the car on the track and the stick and magnet inside the box to move the car around.
There you go… Car that races without you touching it!
Think of other things you could make using this idea… what about a horse race track or a theatre set… a magnetic maze perhaps?
(Thanks Manuel, Ana, Lore and Chabs for your help and ideas)