Big eyes or small, chunky nose or no nose at all, 2 pairs of hands and hands that look like feet… all is possible with the Monster Maker.
It will take you around an hour an a half to make a 30 tile Monster Maker.
_A 30x30cm piece of mount board or thick card
_Cutter or scalpel and a cutting mat or surface to cut on
_Black liner or felt tip pen
_Coloured pencils, markers or crayons.
How to make your Monster Maker:
1. Make a 6×5 grid on the board. Each square of the grid should be 5x5cm.
2. Cut all the tiles out.
3. Draw a circle with a smaller circle inside in 2 of the tiles. This is your first pair of eyes.
4. Make a few more pairs of eyes. Maybe some look like alien or frogs eyes or just like X’s. The idea is to have a good range so that you can make all sorts of combinations.
5. Do the same with arms, legs, mouths, ears and noses. I made noses that look like piggy noses and chunky ones; cows ears with horns and monkey ears; mouths with shiny teeth and pointy teeth…
6. When you have all your range of body parts add colour. Try to use bright colours and colour the full tiles, that is including the background.
7. Draw over all the edges with your felt tip pen to define the shapes and make the colours stand out.
That’s it! Now you have 30 tiles to mix and match and make all sorts of monsters.
You can make scary monsters and friendly monsters.
See how you can mix the eyes and make a pair of hands look like antennae?
and make a piggy nose look like eyes?
Make shorter monsters or taller ones…
…and even ones that forgot to wear their pants!
You can make lots and lots of monsters with this Monster Maker and even more if you decide to make more tiles. Use your imagination and have fun!